Fez is a Moroccan city having great historical significance. From the year 1170-1180, Fez was believed to be the largest city in the world. One of the largest cities in the country, Fez is smaller than only Casablanca and Rabat. This city has beautiful natural surroundings as it lies in a valley surrounded by the foothills of the Atlas Mountains. Morocco has four imperial cities and Fez is one of them. Marrakesh, Meknes, and Rabat are the other three imperial cities. This city also has a great religious value in the Muslim world. It is considered to be the holiest one after Mecca and Medina. Fez was founded at the beginning of the 9th century by Moulay Idriss II.
Fez also has 785 mosques and many religious schools or madrasas and few of the oldest synagogues in North Africa. The scholars of Fez were also the one who enlightened the world with astronomy and medicine.
This city is divided into three different districts namely; Fez el-Bali, Fez el Jdid, and the modern French-built Ville Nouvelle. Fez el-Bali or old Fez is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is also the largest car-free urban area in the world. Fez el-Jdid or New Fez is also thronged by tourists for its interesting and beautiful sights. Fez is rich in terms of history, architecture, and culture. You can savor some sumptuous Moroccan food in Fez. The Moroccan cuisines are a mix of Berber, Spanish, Moorish, Portuguese, African, and Jewish cuisines. You can buy exquisite jewelry and goods from markets in Fez, be it leather goods, textiles, ceramics, or dried fruits, you can find it all here.
Fez is known for its tanneries. The reason for the popularity of its tanneries is that the leather is still manufactured in the way it was in the Middle Ages. Tourists love to see the tanneries of Fez and watch the leather being rinsed, and the buildings covered with pelts which have been hung to dry. It is best to go to these tanneries early in the morning as the stench of leather starts to spread during the later hours. You can also go for the guided tours of the city and, you are advised to ask your hotel staff or tour organizer to arrange for a genuine guide for you.
Every year, a World Sacred Music Festival is held in Fez which lasts for a week. This festival is popular with the tourists who come to see the performers from all over the world performing in this sacred festival. The World Sacred Music Festival was started in 1994 by a Moroccan scholar and philanthropist named Faouzi Skali. Whether you are in Morocco for an official meet or just for a vacation, Fez is a city which you must visit on your trip to Morocco.
Top Morocco Travel Agency is your ultimate destination if you are planning a trip to Morocco. They provide custom Morocco tours that allow you to travel the beautiful cities of Morocco at your own pace and without affecting your budget. If you wish to explore the breath-taking beauty of Fez then following are the options for you:
3 DAYS FES TO MARRAKECH DESERT TOURMany of our clients staying in Fes and willing to travel to Marrakech fancy an overland trip through Morocco Sahara desert in a 3 or 4 days Fes to Marrakech. For that reason, we’ve tailored a Fes to Marrakech desert tour to accommodate your need to combine Fes and Marrakech with a Morocco desert tour.
Fes To Marrakech Desert Tour Highlights
- Visit the winter ski resort of Ifran and the Berber village of Azrou
- Cross the Middle Atlas Mountains with its cedar forests
- Drive along Ziz Valley
- Ride a camel in Erg Chebbi assisiting to a dramatic sunset scene
- Spend the night in a Berber desert camp in the middle of nowhere
- Walk in Tinghir oasis and visit the Gorges
- Drive along the road of 1001 Kasbahs and the Valley of the Roses
- Visit Skoura oasis
- Stop at Ourazate Kasbah Taourirt and the film studios
- Visit the UNESCO world heritage site of Kasbah Ait Ben Haddou
- Cross the High Atlas Mountains & its Tizi Ntichka pass
- A/C modern vehicle driven by an English speaking driver
- Pick up from your Marrakech hotel / Riad
- Sunset camel ride
- Overnight at a Saharara desert camp in Erg Chebbi
- Dinner and breakfast
- Upgrade to a deluxe camp with an ensuite tent available upon booking your desert tour
- Sunrise camel ride
- Drop off at your Marrakech hotel
- Lunches on the way
- Optional local guide in Kasbah Ait Ben Hadou
- Personal expenses
Know before you go
- Sun cream
- Jeans or trousers for the camel trekking
- Camera & phone chargers
- Warm clothes in winter season