Although hundreds of thousands of travelers fly every day, finding the lowest fares is difficult, if not impossible, to many people. Comparison-shopping is the name of the game for finding cheap flights to Morocco. It is not complicated but can be tedious and time-consuming. Lady luck plays a part too. There is no magic formula for always finding the cheapest airfares. Shop around for the best deal and be patient. One company will never ever always have the cheapest price
Airfare is usually the biggest single expense of any long-distance trip. Finding cheap flights leads to significant savings in the total cost of travel. Back in the Middle Ages of air travel, airlines used to distribute their rates in telephone-book-sized publications updated every few weeks, and your travel agent would actually get on the phone to reserve your seat. Nowadays, fares change as often as the weather in Morocco.
Always compare like with like: First, watch out for taxes, surcharges and fees. Secondly, some airlines are more comfortable (offering seat allocation, food and drinks) so the price is not always the only factor.
However, there are some effective steps and simple tricks that can help you find the cheapest flights.
Book in Advance and Be Flexible on Flight Times
Waiting until the last minute to purchase is like playing roulette—sometimes you’ll get lucky, but more often than not, you won’t. While we have all heard of people obtaining a real last minute bargain the general rule with airline tickets is the earlier you book the larger the saving. Most airline sources agree that anything outside 21 days before takeoff is considered an advance-purchase ticket. Airlines are different, but generally, once you hit 15 days before the flight, the price begins to go up, and then it goes up again at the seven-day mark. So if you want a retail ticket, buy it at least 21 days out for the best price.
Flights on popular routes fill up quickly. Also, as the airlines struggle to cover increasing fuel costs, this expense is passed along to passengers in the form of fuel surcharges, which can add up to $80 or more each way. If you book early, you may be able to lock in a fare with a lower surcharge. Travel agents advise booking as soon as you know your plans, especially for holiday travel, travel over school breaks and travel to destinations during peak season.
Cheaper Flights to Morocco
When searching for fares, try looking for flights on different dates; sometimes flying even a day earlier or later than your original travel dates can save you a bundle.
Timing when you fly is just as important as when you buy. Though airfares can be fickle and inconsistent, cheaper flights to Morocco are typically available on weekdays, as opposed to weekends, and during non-rush hours. If you can’t avoid major holidays, like Christmas, New Year’s, Thanksgiving, national long-weekend holidays and spring break periods in March, a good rule of thumb is to try to travel when everyone else doesn’t want to. Think Christmas Eve or day, Thanksgiving Day or a week ahead of time. Flying on a holiday has its benefits—the airports and planes are usually less crowded, and the “we’re all in this together” atmosphere can lend to an easy-going travel experience.
List of civil airports in Morocco and identification codes:
- Mohammed V International Airport in Casablanca – ICAO: GMMN; IATA: CMN
- Anfa Airport in Casablanca – ICAO: GMMC; IATA: CAS
- Menara International Airport in Marrakech – ICAO: GMMX; IATA:
- Sale Airport in Rabat – ICAO: GMME; IATA: RBA
- FEZ Sefrou Airport in Fes – ICAO: GMFU
- Ibn Batouta International Airport in Tangier – ICAO: GMTT; IATA:
- Ouarzazate Airport in Ouarzazate – ICAO: GMMZ; IATA: OZZ
- Al Massira Airport in Agadir – ICAO: GMAD; IATA: AGA
- Cherif Al Idrisi Airport in Al Hoceima – ICAO: GMTA; IATA: AHU
- Beni Mellal Airport in Beni Mellal – ICAO: GMMD
- El Jadida Airport in El Jadida – ICAO: GMMJ
- Mogador Airport in Essaouira– ICAO: GMMI; IATA: ESU
- Tet Mellil Airport in Casablanca – ICAO: GMMT
- Dakhla Airport in Dakhla – IATA: VIL
- RAK Nador International Airport in Nador – ICAO: GMFN; IATA: NDR
- Moulay Ali Cherif Airport in Errachida – ICAO: GMFK; IATA: ERH
- Bassatine Airport in Meknes – ICAO:GMFM; IATA: MEK
- Saiss Airport in Fes – ICAO: GMFF; IATA:
- Kenitra Airport in Kenitra – ICAO: GMMP; IATA: MMP
- Ifrane Airport in Ifrane – ICAO: GMFI
- Taroudant Airport in Taroudant – ICAO: GMMO
- Sidi Ifni Airport in Sidi Ifni – ICAO: GMMF; IATA: SII
- Angads Airport in Oujda – ICAO: GMFO; IATA: OUD
- Ouezzane Airport in Ouezzane – ICAO: GMFA
- Sania Ramel Airport in Tétouan – ICAO: GMTN; IATA: TTU
- Safi Airport in Safi – ICAO: GMMS; IATA: SFI
- TNG Plage Blanche Airport in Tan-Tan – ICAO: GMAT; IATA: TTA